Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Quote

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."
Albert Einstein

A friend sent me this quote and it resonated with me. I have spent a # of years focused on simplicity, and promoting peace at least within my own domain. I think the opposite of making things bigger is not to make them smaller but to accept them as they are whatever the size. None of these things are easy by any means. However when I remember to use the measure of simplicity and peace to make my choices I seem to create a calmer, more stable atmosphere for myself (and maybe by dint of my own peace, am less of a burden to others or so I'd like to think though I may be deluded.)

After being ejected from the nest of my long term rental, I have made rather complex, bigger and less peaceful choices. Everyone else's lives seemed richly complex and I wanted to participate in that richness. Maybe all I have done is become an intelligent fool. Is that better or worse than being just a plain fool???

I am not putting myself down--I have often thought of myself as a fool. The paths I have chosen seem foolish to many. But sometimes whether something is considered foolish is a matter of perspective. We label people fools when we consider the outcome of their decisions as faulty. But maybe looked at in another way, from another facet, they are wisemen. And the outcomes, seen without judgement are just outcomes.

No comments: