I've been pretty quiet about the house issue since I made the offer last Saturday. After the bidding happened and I agreed to the price I knew I had a window of ten days to contemplate my decision.
The very next day after signing the offer agreement, I called my Realtor and lawyer and said that due to the bidding excitement I had bid beyond my comfort range and wanted to withdraw from the offer.
My Realtor said I should get the home inspection and if it came up with some flaws in the home, I could then get my earnest money returned. Actually, I wanted to give the homeowners the earnest money for their pain and suffering in dealing with me. But I went ahead and got the inspection. So far, spending $1400 on earnest money plus inspection.
The inspection did show a few minor flaws, so theoretically I could use it to withdraw and receive my earnest money back, even though I didnt want it back.
But, I spent the next week agonizing about whether to withdraw or go forward despite my discomfort about the amount I agreed to pay. Plus the fact that the house was practically on top of the 4 lane highway. Otherwise though, the house was lovely.
So back and forth back and forth I went. My mind changed every two minutes. Really! Yes, no, yes,no.
I have been in mental torture. Finally, today we were at the deadline for me to choose as the next step of Purchase and Sales agreement was due to be signed. I decided that if the choice was causing such agony for me, then the best thing to do was to back off. ( My typical modus operandi). I declined to purchase the house.
When I called my lawyer, whom I have never met, to tell her about this yes, no, yes, no dilemma she said: "May I ask you a question?" Sure I said. "Are you a LIBRA?" Oh my god, yes I am. She said she was too (she is Oct 5th, I am Oct 8th) and that this was the Libra dilemma. Librians weigh all sides, see all angles and thus have a very hard time making decisions. What a riot that my lawyer understood!!
She even said that maybe after I step back and drive by the place a few times I could reoffer. I said I wasnt sure if they would want to deal with me again. Why not, she said. They want to sell the house.
I feel much relieved to have at last made a choice. Like you feel when you have a snow day off from school. My options are again open. Do you think this is why I am also not married? I like to keep those options open? I DO want a house and do think it will be better for me to own than to rent. But I guess this just wasnt enough push comes to shove. Or maybe too much push comes to shove, I don't know.