I'm sawing this barn board into small segments to use as supports for some collages. On my first attempt at sawing I held the wood thusly. I thought it would be easier at this shorter edge however it took me a very long time and the board kept moving around.
I then placed the board in a vise and sawed through it in this direction. This went better till I got half way through and then the saw seemed not to cut anymore. So I turned the wood around and came at it from the other direction. This too took a long time.
But finally, voila. This is the idea. I will use wax coating on one and see how it looks. I thought this would be cheaper than buying a bunch of prestretched canvases. I have around 12 of these small collages left over from some greeting cards I made. The second woman from the left is my Grandma. The fourth from the left is her mom. I think the other's are Gram's sisters.
A 9x12 canvas I stretched to paint my muse. I didn't like my first draft so I painted over it. It was a three headed muse. Then I sketched in a new idea.
Using acrylics so they dry quickly and I can do a number of drafts throughout the day. However, the paints seem gloppy and aren't flowing well. Maybe they just seems gloppy in comparison to the oils I have recently be using. Note that her feet are cut off. I have read that this is not a good image, a person with the feet cut off.
I thought she'd have a headdress but it doesn't look right. Also I have the backpack straps wrong. They should go under the armpit. I moved the skirt line up so I had room to paint her feet.
Here she is at the moment. I will do some more today.