After waiting three weeks for the first layer of paint to dry out in my damp and cold studio I finally brought these paintings inside which helped speed things up. I then began my first glazing attempt. A lot of Liquin, yes I bought some, and a very little paint. The changes are subtle but I like them.
Next, according to Collette Browning in Working Out a Painting, I need to do some direct painting with very little medium, let it dry again, then do another glaze. I am using only three colors besides white. Cadmium Red Medium, Cadmium yellow and ultramarine blue. These are the only tubes I own at the moment.
I haven't liked this painting from the get-go but I like it better now that I have added some glazing. Still, even though these were 3 weeks dry, I lifted off some of the original layer of paint when I glazed. I painted with oils back in the mid nineties and I don't remember it being this picky and difficult technically.
In an earlier post I said I would share my attempts to watercolor as I go along. This one I drew first and just colored in. I find watercolor as befuddling now as I did before.