Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Poem by Spanish poet Antonio Machado

Last night when I was sleeping
I dreamed--oh blessed vision!-
that a fountain flowed
deep within my heart.
Tell me, water
By what secret channel
have you come to me
A spring of new life
I've never drunk before.

I found this poem in a book I'm reading by Barbara Sjoholm. This is her translation. I am sure I have heard this poem before. I remember those two lines and "oh blessed vision." Lovely. And when I looked Machado up on the Internet resources, I found a site with this poem in its entirety.

6 comments:

human being said...

I read the rest of this poem,Suki, and felt kind of awakening with his passion and far-fetched images...
A fountain in his heart, then a beehive, then a sun ... and at last, God ...
So mystical...
I was enthraled.
Thanksssssssssssss.

Lynn Cohen said...

Beautiful poem beautitful photo. I love the sun in the photo and the shade...snow melting? At first I thought the shade in the middle was moving water.

Unknown said...

Hi Suki, this is a very beautiful poem, soothing, fountain of love. Few words and so powerful.
I like the picture too, it is very zen.
Andrea

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

I missed this. Yes it is a beautiful poem.

Anonymous said...

A great poem. Totally new to me.

sukipoet said...

Thank you all for reading this beautiful poem and poet. I do think the poem in its entirety is stunning however I think due to copyright laws I can only quote a part of any work.

Lynn that IS running water in the photo. there is a small stream behind the farm that turns full and rushing when the snow melts some. I love listening to it.