Tuesday, August 21, 2007

Julia Glass

This is Julia Glass' second novel. I enjoyed it thoroughly and read it quickly. Some of the characters from her first book, Three Junes are in this one too. Love that continuity. Her characterizations are well done. I like almost everyone in the book and the five year old George is marvelous. I imagine Glass takes much inspiration from her own two children for George's characterization and dialogue.

I found something that the main female character, Greenie, did not very believable. Contrived perhaps to add drama. I won't say what it is, as I don't want to spoil the story for those who haven't read it yet. And the Twin Towers 9/11 incident happens during the end of the novel. Now, it IS set in NYCity for the most part, I grant you that. But again it seems contrived to have it occur during the course of this novel. The novel could be set in any contemporary one year time-frame. That said, I thought she handled the situation well in the context of the story.

Out of five stars, I'd give it three with one being blah and five being brilliant.

No comments: