Sunday, August 05, 2007

Harwich Craft Fair

I first discovered Chikako and her wonderful handmade clothes using Japanese materials last year. I purchased a pair of what we used to call pedal pushers in this material shown above. I love her name label.


I also bought a little top that she decorated in matching cloth. I love handmade clothes. Growing up, my mom made many of my clothes, especially skirts and dresses and also suits for herself. I took it for granted. She did it, I think, to save money and also because she enjoyed sewing. I myself never took to sewing and in home economics class at school I made a dress with the pattern upside down!!


Handmade clothes are now luxury items. I bought this second pair of pedal pushers yesterday. I love the bamboo pattern and the colors. I love supporting enterprising crafts people.


Chikako also makes children's clothes and knapsacks and purses and other small items such as hair squeegees. She'll be at the Mashpee library craft fair on August 18th. Well worth a stop.


Another favorite booth at the fair was Summer House Natural Soaps. Ann Miller owns the business. I had purchased her soaps years ago at the Bourne Waldorf School Holiday Fair. Then she came to yoga class for awhile. But I hadn't seen her for a few years. So I was pleased to find her booth. I bought four soap bars. Once you use handmade soap, you will never want to return to store bought soap again.


Ann also sells aromatherapy mists, gardener's healing hand balm, sea therapy mineral bath and other body care products.

No comments: