Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Tiny Houses

By accident, whilst perusing youtube yesterday, I saw a video about Dee Williams, a woman who built a tiny 84 square foot house on wheels. When I looked her up on the internet, I discovered Tumbleweed Tiny Houses. Jay S. is a San Francisco architect who designed a number of small houses, some on wheels some not. Most can be built for 30-40 plus thousand dollars and much less if you build it yourself or via friends who work for the fun of it.

Hey--maybe I could do that!! A portable house, sort of like an upscale trailer, sounds like fun. The price is right. I'd have to downsize my material possessions drastically of course. But I'd have my own home.

I already knew about the Marfa Wee House. A friend had told me about them. But I think they are more expensive, although not compared to building a regular house.

I'm also taken with the Earthship house from Taos. I have the feeling all these houses are made for warmer climate living. Dee Williams lives in Portland, Oregon and Jay S. is from San Francisco (where he lives in one of his own houses!!). But who knows. The Earthship is not necessarily tiny but it is built from old tires so it is very ecological and cheap if you build it yourself.

No comments: