Friday, November 17, 2006

Agnes Martin

“…We will all get there someday however and do the work that we are supposed to do. Of all the pitfalls in our paths and the tremendous delays and wanderings off the track I want to say that they are not what they seem to be. I want to say that all that seems like fantastic mistakes are not mistakes and all that seems like error is not error; and it all has to be done. That which seems like a false step is just the next step.”

From Agnes Martin: Writings

I read this quote on another site and it resonated with me. Agnes Martin was an abstract painter who died a few years ago. She had lived in NYC for years, then left for New Mexico where, I believe, she lived for the rest of her life which was a long one. Hmm, Georgia O'Keefe lived a long life too. Wonder if it's something in that New Mexican air?

No comments: