Further work done on the "Madonna." Now she looks a bit sultry, but oh well. I added oil pastel and encaustic wax. Blue encaustic on the headscarf, red on the hair and clear on the face. The sleeves are topped with pieces of painted dryer sheets Natalia sent me.
With hot wax I applied two queen anne's lace flowers. I also used white oil pastel to make a rubbing of a plastic lace placemat pattern on the dress.
I'm going to leave her "unframed" for now and just put her away for awhile. My favorite part is the grey and brown background areas esp in the upper left corner.
I set up a small encaustic area in my Dad's workshop in order to do the "Madonna" and felt inspired to play around with the encaustic on some birch boards. I had started this scene at the encaustic workshop I took two years ago and yesterday added layers of encaustic paint. Today I may scrape back some layers. I'll see. Just learning. but as with paper making, I took to encaustic quite strongly.
I am also learning to knit. There is a knitting group at the library so I gulped my fear and went. L. had to show me how to cast on. And the knitting stitch. From a children's book I figured out the pearl stitch. Lots of mistakes here but interesting. The group meets twice a month and for me is more a being with people thing. I may never knit anything except a long scarf-like stream.