Monday, February 28, 2011

Oatmeal raisin cookies: A winter treat

To cheer myself up after all the recent snow and now freezing rain I baked a batch of oatmeal cookies. Delicious.

1 cup well-packed brown sugar
1 cup lightly salted butter at room temperature
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 TBS water
1tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 degrees
Cream soft butter with brown sugar.
Add egg, water and vanilla. Mix well.
Add cinnamon, baking powder and flour, stirring by hand.
Fold in oats, raisins, and nuts. Blend thoroughly.
Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls on lightly buttered baking sheets.

Bake 12 minutes at 350 degrees or until light tan. 3 1/2 dozen medium cookies

Recipe from: The Greyston Bakery Cookbook: Gourmet Specialties from the Zen Community of New York. by Helen Glassman and Susan Postal

14 comments:

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Not only are they beautiful they look yummy.

marianne said...

Mouthwatering!!!!
Want them now!

studio lolo said...

One of my all time favorites, especially warm with cripy edges. Mouthwatering!!

Winter has to end sometime soon, Suki, right?? Please, oh please!

xo♥

Lynn Cohen said...

Oatmeal cookies are my favorite! And these look delicious. I am coming over for tea right now!!!
I wish I could send you some of our spring weather. I hope it makes it to your area soon! Stay warm.

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

These look great.. not burnt like mine get. lol I would probably throw some chocolate chips in them tho. Thats my comfort food. :))

Tess Kincaid said...

You know, I was having the worst craving for oatmeal raisin cookies today. And I come here and...yum!!

Annie said...

Yummy, suki, I am off sugar, so will have to let your lovely photo cheer me up. Here's to better days.
xoxo

Unknown said...

Oatmeal raisin are my favorite! I especially like them out of the freezer ... Yah, weird, but good dunked in something hot :)

Kim said...

Suki, these look delicious! Thank you so much for sharing the recipe here. I can taste them now all warm and lovely!

Nancy said...

Oh my, these look like a proper treat :) I'm going to try your recipe, thank you for posting it :)

Lesley said...

Yum!

ZenDotStudio said...

yum, who could not be cheered by these. tea and cookies almost makes you forget about winter. we had more snow too!

Teri and her Stylish Adventure Cats said...

Life's little pleasures...now where's the vanilla ice cream...

Anonymous said...

Those do look good!!!