Monday, September 27, 2010

Whizzing down the back roads


To continue my Saturday adventure. After talking to so many Realtors and attending the Pickle Festival I was flying high on adrenaline. So I drove further south to Northfield, Mass where I had looked at houses previously. Only about ten miles.

I drove past the ranch I had looked at there and the owner and his girlfriend were outside raking the lawn. He has moved back to NH to be with his new beau, but was tidying up. I paused and said I had looked at his house. He said they were going to rent it out. I said oh I wish I'd known that. I could have rented it and eased into a purchase. He said call the Realtor. He expressed how much he loved the house and the town of Northfield. A wonderful place to live. And the house is filled with so much light. I loved the light too, I said.

He smiled and placed his hand on his heart as if to say "be still my heart."

I then drove up the road and past another house for sale. As I drove these back roads, past the newly sold brick buildings of the former Northfield Mount Hermon Academy (which will soon be a Christian C.S. Lewis/Narnia Academy), I fell in love with the place. I had not been particularly impressed when I was there before. Was it just the beauty of the day? Was it the man who placed his hand on his heart and affirmed this was a wonderful town to live in? Was it the contrast of Northfield's beauty with the shabbiness of the previous town (the one where the 4 open houses took place)? I dont know.

I couldnt find the other two homes for sale, so I drove home on Route 63, a back road. Gosh it was gorgeous. Fields, woods, trees turning, farmhouses, stone walls. I admit I do love it up here. Although not in the winter. The whole day left me feeling exhilarated and enthusiastic and part of the world. Is it just that I am desperate for human contact????

To answer a few ? on y'days post: the open house town was in New Hampshire south east of where I live. However not south enough to make an iota of difference weather-wise. The prices were probably low because this town is a poor town. Two of the sellers had fixed up their homes beyond the prices they really should obtain but can't due to both the economy and the fact that the average or median, not sure which, income of this town is $17,000 or so.

Photo: the field outside my current residence.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh I hope something comes of this - missed your blogs lately (my own fault) and must catch up on your search. All the best, Ann.

kj said...

suki!

northfield!!!

i may not understand. Is this man's house for rent? can you rent it?

if you can i hope you do. i love the message of this man with his hand over his heart.

(kj prays)

Annie said...

Lovely photo, I think renting the house would be great, if you can, get out of where you are and take the time to find the right house.
Glad you had a good day Suki!
xoxo

Robin said...

Suki....the man's gesture of his hand over his heart IMMEDIATELY made me think of Lo's Avatar....the dog - with HIS paw over his heart. (It was the first thing about our Lolo that I noticed and adored!)

Trust in yourself.....you ARE moving...it is going to happen - and soon....every day, I expect an "I've Found It" post.....I can envision it....

I am so proud of your courage to keep looking!

Love,

♥ Robin ♥

Lynn Cohen said...

Those changing colors on the New England trees are simply gorgeous. How I loved the fall we spent driving through them for miles and miles tisking and saying "Oh God!" over and over and over again.

Good luck on your final house decision.

Leslie Avon Miller said...

This all sounds positive Suki - heartfelt connections, beauty, affordable options, and the energy to look! I love your new header - perfect!

Blue Sky Dreaming said...

The best part of your day was surely the last. Keep us posted on outcome with a possible rent to own or just more looking in the area!

Kim said...

Hello Suki, what a wonderful day you had exploring. It is true there is nothing like beautiful New England in the autumn! It sounds like you received a lot of clear messages on Friday and were open to ALL the gifts of the day. You are sounding lighter as you talk about this, Suki! Do you feel lighter?

The word verification is: "reparc" Like re-park yourself! LOL

marianne said...

That is close to KJ's!!!
That would be nice!
Let's see where this will lead you to......
I love all the previous houses, but when I had a choice I would go for some nice winters......
You know what to do Suki just follow your heart . Put your hand on it and listen to what it tells you!

patti said...

The opportunity to rent means if you don't like the winters, you can move elsewhere. It all sounds so good Suki!

Mim said...

love that image too....

~Babs said...

The plot thickens,,,,
how exciting!

Cris, Artist in Oregon said...

You are getting fall colors already. we wont see them till November. Thats a gorgeous shot.

studio lolo said...

i've often thought that renting may be the best option for you until Spring. In the Spring everything seems new and you'll see things with new eyes.

I wish you the best no matter what.

I do hope you move forward (away from where you are) before winter comes a calling. I feel your soul needs this change. You can pull in and emerge with the crocus.

Best blessings,
Lolo

Dianne said...

Oh Suki, this ranch does sound like it is the place for you, especially if you can rent for a while. You can get the feel of the house and the town and then maybe you will decide it is the one to buy. Looking forward to the next installment!

Lisa at Greenbow said...

Best of luck. I hope it works out.

Mim said...

suki - where are you staying over the weekend? hotel? tent? local mansion?

sukipoet said...

Mim, I have a B and B room for Sat night. as I am not selling things, just visiting, I will drive down Sat morning. See you soon1