Using my ochre's from France I painted a bit on the robe y'day. I dont know if I like it. Too geometric. But I often think this when in process. When I glanced at it this morning the paint had time to settle in and it seemed okay. However it is VERY different from what my little brain had THOUGHT it was going to be like.
Here I laid some spirals on top to see if I liked them. They would not be these colors, I had made them for another purpose but just wanted to try out the circular shapes to contrast with the rectangles.
After all the time spent looking for shroud pictures on the internet, I opened a folder and found an article I'd ripped out of a magazine on the Fayoum portraits. There depicted was a shroud. Most of the depictions we see are just of the facial portraits. I didn't realize there were entire cloths painted in ochres depicting full figures.
I don't plan to do a realistic portrait on this robe. But something about seeing this shroud inspired me in some way I can't articulate. Even though in the end my robe may be entirely different from what it looks like now. Thank you for bearing with me through this slow process.