I just bound up this 41/2" by 51/2" book using a cabinet card sent to me by Cris, on the cover. I saw some books on red velvet creations using tintypes as covers. That made me think about using cabinet cards. I wrote to Judy Wilkenfeld and asked permission to use her idea (or a similar idea to hers) and she wrote back saying it was okay.
I've only done this style of binding once before, so I made a few mistakes. For example using too many beads on some of the ribbons and stitching wrong in a few places.
Inside I used charcoal paper, good for writing or sketching.
You sew over the ribbons, then glue the ribbon end to the back and front covers. I then glued the cabinet card on top of the front ribbon.